1.23.2006

Explosion

someone blew something up in the parking structure of my apartment complex tonight. the garage is located on the first floor, below the three floors of housing units. the device was constructed with a empty handle of vodka, and that is all we know. i was quietly strumming a rather simplified and offbeat version of clapton's you look wonderful tonight when the floor shook with a deafening boom. i thought i was rocking someone's world.

empty august streets

sleep escapes again into the night
steals away like a thief
gravel crunches underneath my footsteps
cold and black
the dark is pierced by the green and red
streetlights reflecting in the gutter water
there is a sense of cleanliness in the air
as if the cold has rendered it pure
silence on these empty streets
rising from the cold pavement
dull and penetrating
an unreal atmosphere on this quiet august night
gone is the sense of longing
no fear of this path before me
unwilling to concede defeat
my footsteps carry me along the streets
too diminutive to reach that place
the faint light in the distance
longing returns with ferocity
but again fear pervades my mind
bowing in defeat I turn for home
gravel under my footsteps
streetlights beckon the way
back to another sleepless night

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

probably the fire alarm guy. be careful.